An attorney must satisfy the following requirements to be a certified specialist:
- Pass a written examination
- Maintain a license to practice law for at least five years
- Be approved by attorneys, judges or professionals in the specialty field
- Practice four years in the specialty field
- Devote 50% of their law practice to the specialty field
- Demonstrate integrity, professionalism and a high degree of competence in the specialty field
An attorney may be certified for 10 years, after which time the attorney may apply for re-certification. The attorney must demonstrate that they meet the requirements of continuing legal education and substantial involvement in the specialty field on an ongoing basis.
Buddy Rake is a certified specialist in the field of injury and wrongful death. Buddy Rake was one of the first attorneys certified in the state of Arizona and devotes a majority of his attention to litigation concerning personal injury and wrongful death.